The Deans are the chief officers for their respective schools. They are responsible for all aspects of operation of the unit and serves as the primary spokesperson for the unit. The Dean also serves as a member of the vice president for academic affairs administrative team and reports primarily to the vice president for academic affairs and the university president. Duties for all Deans include the following plus other duties as assigned:
- Advises the vice president for academic affairs and the president on college-wide matters as requested
- Coordinates with appropriate areas within the college to insure high quality instruction, programming, and advising
- Communicates issues and recommendations to appropriate college personnel
- Manages, distributes, and monitors area resources
- Insures compliance with college and external agencies’ policies
- Develops budget requests, allocates resources, and controls expenditures from approved budgets
- Responsible for the implementation of institutional policies and plans
- Implements academic policies and procedures
- Implements appropriate institutional policies and procedures
- Maintains required records and prepares required reports
- Develops academic policies and programs for college or university: directs and coordinates activities of deans and chairpersons of individual colleges.
- Advises on personnel matters.
- Determines scheduling of courses and recommends implementation of additional courses.
- Coordinates activities of student advisors. Participates in activities of faculty committees, and in development of academic budget.
- Advises president, educational institution on academic matters
- Serves as liaison officer with accrediting agencies which evaluate academic programs.